The Expert Group Meeting on Disability in the Pacific:
Strengthening Implementation of the Biwako Millennium Framework (BMF)
28 to 30 March 2007, Tanoa International Hotel, Nadi, Fiji
Annotated Provisional Agenda
1. Opening of the session
The programme for the opening session will be announced in due course.
2. Election of officers
A chairperson will be elected from among the country participants attending the session.
3. Adoption of the agenda
The provisional agenda will be considered and adopted, with amendments, if any.
6. Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities
The meeting will consider the implications of the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities and the Optional Protocol to the Convention adopted by the General Assembly in its resolution 61/106 in December 2006 for countries in the Pacific, as well as the ratification process.
7. Defining the priorities of the Biwako Millennium Framework
The meeting will break into working groups to define the priorities of the Biwako Millennium Framework and to consider the challenges of implementing it. The working group will make recommendations on ways to address regional and national concerns and strengthen existing strategies and implementation mechanisms. Discussions will be held on the following Framework priorities:
- Self-help organizations of persons with disabilities and related family and parent associations;
- Women with disabilities;
- Early detection, early intervention and education;
- Training and employment, including self-employment;
- Access to built environment and public transport;
- Access to information and communications, including information, communication and assistive technologies; and
- Poverty alleviation through capacity-building, social security and sustainable livelihood programmes.
8. Other matters
Any other matter, not covered elsewhere in the agenda, may be raised for discussion.
9. Adoption of the report
The meeting will adopt its report on 30 March 2007.
10. Closing of the session
The programme for the closing session will be announced in due course.