V. INSTITUTIONAL ARRANGEMENTS FOR ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT
| V-J ]
G. Assessment of integrating environmental measures into development
8. Environmental education and awareness campaigns
Shenyang has implemented a number of wide environmental propaganda and education campaigns, including:
- Cooperation with the media in the province and the city. The municipal Environmental Protection Bureau reported conspicuous and difficult pollution management and treatment problems that were of concern among citizens, including smoke and dust, wastewater and noise via newspapers, radio and television;
- Special events on 5 June (World Environment Day) and 22 April (World Earth Day).
The Shenyang government gives public lectures and publishes papers on the relationship between the environment and development, environmental protection and environmental quality goals to be attained up to the end of this century, as well as organizing a variety of information activities;
- Special environmental protection programmes with the participation of citizens and lectures on environmental protection that are broadcast by Shenyang radio or Shenyang television. The objective is to stimulate citizens into caring and participating in environmental protection;
- The exposure and criticism of illegal pollution sources via radio, television and newspapers;
- Broadcasts by Shenyang television of predictions of atmospheric SO2 levels, which has greatly enhanced environmental protection awareness among the public;
- The organization by the Shenyang Environmental Protection Bureau of a variety of environmental protection information and educational campaigns that have been carried out by youths, with the aim of encouraging other youths to take part in environmental protection activities.
Overall, the above information and educational activities have greatly improved public awareness of environmental protection.