V. INSTITUTIONAL ARRANGEMENTS FOR ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT
| V-J ]
G. Assessment of integrating environmental measures into development
4. Intensity of implementing environmental laws
Following a review of laws related to environmental protection, they have been further enforced. According to the requirements of the National People's Congress and the State Council, the city government announced that it would make the review and that severe penalties would be imposed for activities that violated the laws. The review covered:
- The implementation of EIAs and the "three synchronized" systems of construction projects during the previous three years, as well as a range of development and industrial areas and scientific and technical centres to find whether they had implemented environmental protection plans prior to construction;
- Imported techniques and apparatus to ensure that they were in accordance with national or local environmental laws and regulations;
- The main pollution sources seriously affecting the Shenyang environment and public health, in order to evaluate whether they had taken effective disposal measures;
- The operation and management of facilities established for pollution treatment, and verification that such facilities had not been dismantled;
- Pollution discharge payments, to ensure that they were not lower than required;
- Environmental protection departments at all levels, to ensure that they were operating in accordance with, and strictly enforcing, the laws;
- Units and individuals managing and utilizing wild animals and their products, to ensure that they were operating with licences.
The review of this category included licences to train and breed wild animals, manage and hunt wild animals, and produce, process, buy, utilize and carry hunting guns and ammunition.
The supervisory examination of pollution source sites has been reinforced with the recruitment of supervisory environment teams.
The supervision of smoke and dust, and construction and social noise has also been reinforced.
For example, 165 units discharging black smoke and units creating noise that disturbed the population at night were penalized.