I. URBAN DEVELOPMENT AND ENVIRONMENTAL PROBLEMS
[ I-A | I-B | I-C | I-D | I-E | I-F ]
F. The century-spanning blueprint of Shanghai city
[ F | F-1 | F-2 | F-3 | F-4 ]
3. Pudong New Area - a modern, export-oriented and multi-functional district of international standard
(a) The main part of transportation system of Pudong New Area
- (i) External transportation system
The international airport. It will have a demarcated area of 30 square kilometres. The whole project will have three phases and its first two runways will have an annual handling capacity of 40,000,000 people.
Figure 9. Functional zones in Pudong New Area
Figure 10. Plan model of Lujiazui Financial and Trade Zone
- The international deep-water pivot harbor. An international pivot harbor will be built to- berth container ships of the third and fourth generations and it will have a multitude of berths and a handling capacity of 60,000,000 tons.
Pudong railway. It will strengthen the north-south economic connections and will connect the airport and the pivot harbor.
Highways and internal river transportation also play fairly important roles in the external transportation system.
- (ii) Transportation across the Huangpu River
- Bridges. The third bridge will be built across Huangpu River between Sanlin and Longhua to link with the Outer Ring Road.
- Subways. Phase I of the No. 2 subway, crossing the Huangpu River, will connect Huamu district in Pudong with the People's Park in Puxi, linking the central areas of Pudong and Puxi. It will eventually extend to Pudong International Airport.
- Tunnels. The East Yan'an Road Twin Tunnels were completed in the way of BOT. The planning and construction of the six-lane Taidonglu Tunnel, the four-lane Dongchanglu Tunnel and three other underpasses across the river should be expedited in order to connect the central business districts on both banks.
Pudong-Chongming-Qidong project should be planned in order to bridge Pudong and north Jiangsu Province to further the latter's economic connections with the Yangtze Delta and to lay a good foundation for focal development of Chongming in the next century.
(b) Communication and information network in Pudong New District
After the formation of a public information network Pudong New Area will march toward an information expressway under the unified deployment of Shanghai.
(c) Industrial allocation in Pudong New Area
- (i) Lujiazui-Huamu zone. It has a planned area of 28 square kilometres and a planned population of 500,000 and its development will focus on Lujiazui Financial and the Trade Zone.
- (ii) Jinqiao-Qingningsi zone. It has a planned area of 33 square kilometres and a planned population of 550,000 and its development will focus on Jinqiao Export Processing Zone.
- (iii) Waigaoqiao-Gaoqiao zone. It has a planned area of 62 square kilometres and a planned population of 300,000 and its development will focus on the Waigaoqiao bonded zone.
- (iv) Zhangjiang--Beicai zone. It has a planned area of 17 square kilometres and a planned population of 350,000 and its development will focus on Zhangjiang High-tech Park. The whole zone is made up of Exhibition Section, Hi-tech Industrial Section, Scientific Research and Educational Training Section and Residential Section and will be developed into the largest high--tech development zone in China integrating development production, marketing, scientific research and exhibitions.
- (v) Zhoujiadu—Liuli zone. It has a planned area of 35-square kilometres and a planned population of 650,000 and its development will focus on adjustment of industrial structure on the basis of metallurgical and building materials industries.