24 January 2001
ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL COMMISSION FOR ASIA AND THE PACIFIC
19-25 April 2001
(Click on the agenda items to go to the Annotated Agenda)
1. Opening of the session.
2. Election of officers.
3. Adoption of the agenda.
4. Membership of the Commission.
5. Policy issues for the ESCAP region:
(a) Implications of recent economic and social developments;
(b) Balanced development of urban and rural areas and regions within the countries of Asia and the Pacific;
(c) Regional preparations for the special session of the General Assembly on HIV/AIDS, 25-27 June 2001.
6. Management issues: report of the Executive Secretary on the implementation of Commission resolution 53/1 on restructuring the conference structure of the Commission, and related matters.
7. Emerging issues and developments at the regional level:
(a) Regional economic cooperation;
(b) Environment and natural resources development;
(c) Socio-economic measures to alleviate poverty in rural and urban areas;
(d) Transport, communications, tourism and infrastructure development;
(f) Least developed, landlocked and island developing countries.
8. Programme planning:
(a) Implementation of the programme of work for the biennium 2000-2001; and proposed programme changes for 2001;
(b) Proposed programme of work for the biennium 2002-2003;
(c) Calendar of meetings and training programmes, April 2001-March 2002.
9. Technical cooperation activities of ESCAP and announcement of intended contributions.
10. Reports of regional intergovernmental bodies.
11. Activities of the Advisory Committee of Permanent Representatives and Other Representatives Designated by Members of the Commission.
12. Date, venue and theme topic for the fifty-eighth session of the Commission.
13. Other matters.
14. Adoption of the report of the Commission.