19 January 2000
ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL COMMISSION FOR ASIA AND THE PACIFIC
1-7 June 2000
1. Opening of the session.
2. Election of officers.
3. Adoption of the agenda.
4. Membership of the Commission.
5. Policy issues for the ESCAP region:
(a) Implications of recent economic and social developments;
(b) Development through globalization and partnership in the twenty-first century: an Asia-Pacific perspective for integrating developing countries
and economies in transition into the international trading system on a fair and equitable basis.
6. Implementation of Commission resolution 53/1 on restructuring the conference structure of the Commission.
7. Emerging issues and developments at the regional level:
(a) Regional economic cooperation;
(b) Environment and natural resources development;
(c) Socio-economic measures to alleviate poverty in rural and urban areas;
(d) Transport, communications, tourism and infrastructure development;
(f) Least developed, landlocked and island developing countries.
8. Programme planning:
(a) Draft medium-term plan of ESCAP for the period 2002-2005;
(b) Report on the implementation of the programme of work for the biennium 1998-1999;
(c) Proposed programme changes, 2000-2001;
(d) Calendar of meetings and training programmes, April 2000-March 2001.
9. Technical cooperation activities of ESCAP and announcement of intended contributions.
10. Reports of regional intergovernmental bodies.
11. Activities of the Advisory Committee of Permanent Representatives and Other Representatives Designated by Members of the Commission.
12. Date, venue and any other subject pertaining to the fifty-seventh session of the Commission.
13. Other matters.
14. Adoption of the report of the Commission.