ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL COMMISSION FOR ASIA AND THE PACIFIC
PROGRAMME PLANNING: TENTATIVE CALENDAR OF MEETINGS AND TRAINING PROGRAMMES, APRIL 2000-MARCH 2001
(Item 8 (d) of the provisional agenda)
Note by the secretariat
1. The tentative calendar of meetings and training programmes of the secretariat for the year 2000/2001, covering the period April 2000-March 2001, has been prepared on the basis of the programme of work, 2000-2001, as endorsed by the Commission at its fifty-fifth session. It is submitted for the review of the Commission.
2. The 2000/2001 calendar lists only meetings and training programmes for which sources of funding for implementation have been identified. Such sources of funding are indicated in the last column under the heading "Participation financed by".
3. In accordance with Commission resolution 53/1 of 30 April 1997 on restructuring the conference structure of the Commission, the following legislative meetings have been scheduled for the meeting calendar year 2000/2001.
4. In addition, the Commission, at its fifty-fifth session, decided to accept the generous offer of the Government of Japan to hold the following ministerial conference, tentatively scheduled from 31 August to 5 September 2000 at Kitakyushu City, Japan:
Ministerial Conference on Environment and Development in Asia and the Pacific, 2000
5. It should be noted that, in view of the above ad hoc ministerial conference and in accordance with the provision contained in Commission resolution 53/1 relating to the convening of ad hoc ministerial conferences, the third session of the Committee on Environment and Natural Resources Development will be held in 2001.
6. Since meetings and training programmes in the category "Other group activities" are subject to the availability of extrabudgetary resources, more meetings and training programmes may be added to the calendar at a later stage.
7. The table preceding the calendar of meetings and training programmes shows the number of proposed meetings and training programmes for 2000/2001 as compared with the number of meetings and training programmes since the meeting calendar year 1990/91, by categories established under the conference structure of ESCAP.
8. The Commission may wish to give its views on the meeting calendar as a whole, or on any specific aspect of it.
NUMBER OF MEETINGS AND TRAINING PROGRAMMES ORGANIZED BY ESCAP SINCE 1990
a/ Indicating those meetings and training programmes held during the period 1 April 1999-31 March 2000.
b/ In addition to the 10 formal sessions, 13 open-ended information meetings of ACPR were held during the calendar year.
c/ Representing meetings and training programme proposals for April 2000-March 2001.
d/ Estimated at the time of compilation of the calendar. However, the number will increase when funding for additional meetings and training programmes becomes available.
TENTATIVE ESCAP CALENDAR OF MEETINGS AND TRAINING PROGRAMMES (1 April 2000 to 31 Marrch 2000)